Monday, November 4, 2019

How to maximize networking meetings

I have been attending networking meetings for 12 years or so. I was first introduced to this concept after I lost my first business and had to start looking for a job. The career workshops I attended couldn't emphasize the value of networking in one's career search. 

Now I am starting my own business, and I am using networking as my primary prospecting tool. Just as jobs are found mostly through networking, so are clients. p
I have been networking for two years now, and I would like to share some dos and don'ts. 

  • Dress for success. You are your brand, and you should dress like it.
  • Show up early and stay late. You meet more people that way. 
  • Do follow-ups and one-on-ones. 
  • Don't just exchange business cards. Email them soon afterward. 
  • It's not all about you. To be interesting: be interested in the other person.
  • Stay focused on business. Don't stray into other subjects until you have built a relationship with that person.
  • Repeat names, memorize names and use their names. Names are very important. Names show caring and respect more than anything else. 
  • I know you are meeting lots of new people, but you can memorize all their names with practice. 
  • Never try to sell the person you are meeting. You are networking, not pitching your product.
  • Be respectful of referrals. Ask for referrals. 
  • Ask for help.
  • Volunteer to be a speaker.
  • Volunteer to help with the meetings.


These are some things I learned I would love to have your contributions. 

#networking  #advice  #self-improvement  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transitioning (no not that lol)

 We are moving to a Word Press site, and this is one reason we haven't posted in a while.  I will be blogging at our new site and will c...