Monday, July 15, 2019

Asking too many questions or too few

The way I was brought up was not to ask a lot of questions. Now I am a boomer and was raised and taught by WWII area veterans. Maybe they were instructed not to question much because, in war, a soldier doesn't question orders. That's one reason; perhaps it was a more straightforward area when things were simpler, and one was expected to "figure it out." A good example is found in the essay "Message to Garcia''' see it here: A Message To Garcia

I also was raised in an area without the internet, and access to the answers usually meant a long drawn out trip to the library.  Either that or ask someone and one couldn't be sure the info the imparted wad correct.

Maybe it's my gender. My wife, who was raised in the same era asks lots of questions. Sometimes I feel too many. But in her occupation as an administrative assistant, she had to ask lots of questions to make sure she was on the same page as the person to whom she was reporting. I was on my own most of my life, and in charge, so I was giving the directives. That may explain some as well.

Another factor was I was in transactional sales. We didn't need to take the consultive approach and ask questions.  We didn't have time to handle the objections that would bring up. We just pitched the product. Show up a throw-up approach,

Some whether it was nature or nurture, I need to learn to ask more questions. You know what assume stands for.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Transitioning (no not that lol)

 We are moving to a Word Press site, and this is one reason we haven't posted in a while.  I will be blogging at our new site and will c...