Monday, April 13, 2020

Are we social?

I am becoming aware that I am a social animal. This social distancing and quarantine have made me miss being around folks and interacting with them on a personal level.

I do about 3-5 virtual video conferences a week. It is just not the same. I can't explain why, either.

I did meet some of my neighbors. I think the problem with next-door neighbors getting together is that we are afraid of becoming bothersome. I feel we want to keep close neighbors at arm's length for fear of intrusion. Unless we have a compelling mutual interest like kids in school, sports, or church groups, we don't seem to want to connect. The adults, if there are no kids involved, seem to like their distance. Relatives are a whole other topic, some with business acquaintances.

I also believe that the reason we shop is to get out and interact; otherwise, we would buy online. I think the same can be said as to why we eat out and go to coffee shops.

Now comes the next big question, will this pandemic change us forever?
Only time will tell. We may like our distance. We can control if when how much and how often we interact.

 I used to like malls at Christmas when they were packed. The malls may be gone. I don't do live sports or the bar scene, so those venues have been a thing of the past with me.

Social animal or social hermit? Let me know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transitioning (no not that lol)

 We are moving to a Word Press site, and this is one reason we haven't posted in a while.  I will be blogging at our new site and will c...